Friday, February 24, 2012

Reflecting Back

Whenever I think of the word reflecting, I think of a really still pond of water and me looking into it, looking deep into myself. But really this isn't quite that deep but its always good to take a look back and see your progress.

Over the past semester I have found several topics that have stood out to me. They are the following:

--Education: This was a big one. I have primarily focused on how our education system has changed our culture and economy. Also I wrote a lot about how we aren't truly getting all we can out of our education, that they aren't providing us with an education that will benefit us as we go into the work field.
There are many ways to improve our education system and I mentioned several.

--Technology has changed our culture: It has affected our family settings, how many children we have, how much time we spend with them. It has affected us in our social interactions with others. We now have artificial intelligence that is a great asset but can be damaging to our interaction with others. Even in the realm of medicine, it has changed the doctor and patient interactions.

--Control: Governmental and Educational.
The government controls more then people understand and realize. I spoke of the example of farming in California and how the government shut down farms because they wanted to save an animal from extinction but really were damaging thousands of human lives and the economy in California.They have the ability to push and pull us around without much thought. 
Educational control is shown through our conveyer belt school system. They tell us what to do and what to become and without it, we cannot go far in certain fields regardless of the experience we have.

One way I hit hard on to get out of the unwanted and unnecessary control is to use participation against it. Whether its collaborating via social media or through your community involvement, it is necessary to make a change.


I connected many of these topics to history and created a valid setting for belief. Education systems have made the big loop from control to less control to even more control now. Technology has continued to develop and changed and so has our culture and economy.

Even as I am writing this, I begin to see an overlying theme; to stand up and not be ignorant, nor let anyone take what's most important from you. If you want something bad enough, then take the steps to make the change. Don't let technology and the digital age destroy you, use it for your benefit!

No comments:

Post a Comment